New Zealand Excellence Awards (NZEA) is an initiative started by eight institutes across New Zealand to provide 35 scholarships to highly talented and motivated Indian students. This is an opportunity and encouragement for Indian students to experience the New Zealand way of excellence. The scholarship amount is given out to students who are pursuing degrees in fashion, business and STEM programs from any of the eight universities conducting the New Zealand Excellence Awards. in QS world rankings, All of these eight universities are among the top 450 ranked institutions. The number of Indian students enrolling for higher education in New Zealand is on the rise with previous year saw 28000 students coming to New Zealand to pursue higher education.
The candidates who are interested to apply for the New Zealand Excellence Awards must satisfy the following criteria in order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship:
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- The student must be at least 18 years of age or older in order to apply.
- Must have obtained an unconditional offer letter from one of the New Zealand universities in participating in this award.
- Must have scored a minimum of B+ Grade (or any equivalent score) in his/her most recent educational qualification.
- The candidate must not hold a permanent Australian or New Zealand citizenship.
How to Apply for New Zealand Excellence Awards
If the candidates satisfy the above-provided eligibility criteria they can go ahead and apply for the New Zealand Excellence Awards. The eligible candidates must take the following steps in order to successfully apply for the scholarships:
- Visit the website by clicking on this link.
- Click on the apply button present on the top right corner of the web page.
- Click on the “Create New Account” option.
- Enter the details in all the fields to successfully complete the registration.
- Login again from the same website using the details while registering for the awards.
- Provide all the necessary details in all the required fields present in the application form.
- Upload a soft copy of all the necessary documents in the standard formats to complete the application form.
- Submit the application by pressing the SUBMIT button.
To successfully submit the application for the New Zealand Excellence Awards the candidates must hand over the following documents to successfully register for the scholarship. The documents provided must be in soft copy and should be submitted while filling up the application form.
- An unconditional offer letter from one of the eight universities for one of the programs covered in the awards.
- Resume or the Curriculum Vitae of the candidate with all the necessary information.
- Transcripts of all the previous academic accomplishments from a recognised university or institute.
- Any document indicating a proof of Indian citizenship (like Passport) or any other countries which the candidate holds the citizenship of.
- Names and emails of at least two referees who are willing to provide references for the candidate. The referees will be contacted later to provide the necessary references.
Selection Procedure of New Zealand Excellence Awards
A total of 34 scholarships are provided to high achieving and aspiring Indian students who would like to pursue their higher studies in New Zealand. The students are primarily selected on the basis of merit and academic achievement. The award-winning candidates will also be dependent on the number of scholarships available for each program and university. The details of the Universities participating and the number of scholarships offered for each program under them is given below:
|Participating University||Total Number of Scholarships available||Scholarship amount provided|
|Under Graduate||Post Graduate||Under Graduate||Post Graduate|
|The University of Waikato||1||2||NZ$10,000||NZ$5,000|
|University of Canterbury||2||N/A||NZ$10,000||N/A|
|University of Otago||1||3||NZ$10,000||NZ$5,000|
|Victoria University of Wellington||1||4||NZ$10,000||NZ$5,000|
|The University of Auckland||N/A||4||N/A||NZ$5,000|
Scholarship Amount and other benefits
The total combined allocated amount by the eight universities of New Zealand to be distributed among the award winners is equivalent to NZ$215,000. The scholarship amount provided varies based on the graduation level the selected candidate is pursuing. For candidates who are pursuing undergraduate courses in the scholarship amount offered is equivalent to NZ$10,000 for each candidate. And those who won the award for pursuing post graduation courses in New Zealand will be awarded NZ$5,000 for each candidate. The award prizes will be given only for in the first year of the study.
In addition to the amount provided for the awards, there are many perks to study in New Zealand:
- New Zealand provides a great combination of great quality of education and unbeatable lifestyle. This puts students studying through New Zealand universities to be a success in any part of the world.
- New Zealand has an extremely flexible education system which the student can modify according to his needs and budget requirements.
- An adequate number of holidays for students to recover and refresh from hard work done by the students.
- A friendly and welcoming country who are willing to go over the top to make you comfortable.
- An option to work while you study and providing enough income to cover up your daily necessities.
- A student can work in New Zealand after they have completed their graduation if he/she so desires.
Terms and Conditions
- Only students having Indian citizenship are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Students who have secured unconditional admission offer letter from any one of the eight participating universities are eligible to apply for the New Zealand Excellence Awards.
- If the student is planning to stay in New Zealand for more than 3 months, he is required to apply for a Visa.
- Students who are planning to pursue an education in New Zealand must show proof that they would be able to finance themselves with a minimum of NZ$15,000 each year. This is an absolute minimum amount required to sustain themselves in New Zealand.
- There is no limit on the amount of foreign currency you can bring to New Zealand. On the occasion of a person carrying more than NZ$10,000 with him while travelling to the airport. They are required to surrender that amount to the New Zealand Customs Service.
- International students are not entitled to New Zealand’s publicly funded health services. Interested students requested to also apply for a medical insurance while applying for VISA.
- Unless stated otherwise by the institution in which you are enrolled into, there is no restriction in applying for part-time jobs while you are studying.