Merit scholarship offers financial aid to talented students to fulfil their dream of a good career in life. The merit-based scholarships estimate the student’s merit-based on their academic performance of scholarship exams. Many government or private enterprises offer merit scholarships to encourage students to fulfil their dream career.
But in this article, we will talk about merit scholarship funded by the government, take a look below!
List of Government Funded Merit Scholarship
The national merit scholarship which is implemented by the state or central government come under Government-funded scholarship. Government scholarship exam in India is given to the needy and deserving candidates.
|Name of the scholarship||Tentative date||Conducting Body|
|Inspire Scholarship||October/December||Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt.of India|
|AISEE||April and May||Ministry of Finance|
|KVPY||July/August||Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt.of India|
|Medhabruti Scholarship||January||Govt. of Odisha|
Find below the complete description of above-mentioned merit scholarship.
NSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education is for the students who are pursuing Bachelors or Masters in Basic and Natural Sciences. It is the flagship program of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) under the Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) scheme. This is to attract talented and interested students to pursue their education in science-intensive programs.
- Must be pursuing a course in Natural or Basic sciences at bachelors or masters level (mandatory).
- Be in the top 1% of his/her class 12th board examination.
- Be within the top 10000 ranks in their IITJEE or AIPMT examination.
- Pursuing integrated MS courses in IISER, NISER or Department of Atomic Energy Center for Basic Sciences.
- Has won Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahak Yojana (KVPY), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), Jagdish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) or International Science Olympiad (ISO) medalists.
- Must be pursuing bachelors or masters in one of the subjects: Microbiology, Physics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Oceanic Sciences, Astronomy, Geology, Zoology, Biology, Electronics, Statistics, Botany, Geochemistry, Anthropology, Geophysics, Mathematics, Atmospheric Sciences & Astrophysics.
Qualified students will be awarded by INR 80,000 per year.
The deadline for submitting the filled application form of INSPIRE Scholarship is October/December every year.
The National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is one of the most competitive exams in India. NTSE Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship program for students of Class 10 from all over the country. The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) conducts the exam every year and 1000 meritorious students are selected for the NTSE scholarship.
- Candidates studying in class 10th of any recognized school.
- Students of Open and Distance learning can also apply the application form.
Selected students will get a scholarship of INR 1,250 per month at class 11th and 12th, INR 2,000 per month for UG, PG, and PhD level, as per UGC norms.
The deadline for filing the application form is July/August every year.
AISEE is a national level merit-based scholarship entrance exam for Engineering and Medical Studies aspirants in India.
Through its program, AISEE has fueled dreams of more than 2 lakh talented engineering and medical students of India since its initiation.
This program provides benefits for higher education to those students who wish to get aid in their higher studies such as medical and engineering scholarship exam in India.
The exam conducting board is registered with the Ministry of Finance act 1994 under the central excise department of India. The objective of the AISEE program is to provide financial assistance to meritorious engineering and medical students through the AISEE examinations.
AISEE has launched two scholarship programs-
1. AISEE 2020 Scholarship for medical and Engineering.
2. AISEE-2020 Open Book Scholarship for medical and engineering aspirants.
Students of class 12th appearing/passed are eligible for AISEE scholarship. This scholarship is available for engineering and MBBS/BDS only.
- The qualified students will be rewarded with the scholarship and awards based on their performance of AISEE examination.
- The engineering and medical students of government college will be awarded 100% AISEE scholarship.
- AISEE offers INR 80,000 for engineering and medical students of a private college.
The deadline to fill the application of AISEE scholarship is April and May.
KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana)
The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is an on-going National Program of Fellowship in Basic Sciences, initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, to attract exceptionally highly motivated students for pursuing basic science courses and research career in science.
The objective of the program is to identify students with talent and aptitude for research; help them realize their academic potential; encourage them to take up research careers in Science, and ensure the growth of the best scientific minds for research and development in the country.
- The KVPY Fellowships are given to students of Indian Nationality.
- Students enrolled in XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2019-20 and having secured a minimum of 75% (65% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board examination immediately in the preceding academic year are eligible to appear for the Aptitude test.
- The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences in the academic year 2021-22 after having secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Science subjects in the XII standard/(+2) Board Examination.
- 10% relaxation for SC/ST/PWD students.
Student can apply for KVPY Scholarship in July/August.
In order to encourage and motivate brilliant students of Odisha prosecuting higher studies in the field of General, Technical and Professional education, the Government of Odisha is awarding different scholarship every year through Higher Education Department on merit-cum-means basis.
- The student must resident of Odisha State.
- The candidates must complete the 10th class with minimum 60% marks.
- The candidate must have any one of the following grades like A1, A2, B1 and B2 or its equivalent percentage like A1-95%, A2-85%, B1- 75% and B2- 65%.
- Candidate’s family annual income was less than Rs 6 lakhs.
The deadline for Medhabruti Scholarship is December of every year.