Udaan scheme is an initiative taken by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) with the goal of increasing enrolment of girls in various prestigious institutions. CBSE Udaan scheme provides 100% free scholarship to 1000 girl students in classes 11th and 12th. CBSE aims to reduce the knowledge gap in school education and various engineering entrance examinations and provides complete financial support to the students under this scheme. The financial support includes the admission and tuition fees, the amount for study materials and any other expenses during their 2 year preparation period.
Candidates must satisfy the following conditions to be eligible for this scheme:
- Citizen of India residing in the country.
- Should be an 11th standard student enrolled in Physics, Chemistry and Maths (PCM) stream.
- The candidate should be studying in Kendriya Vidyalayas / Navodaya Vidyalayas / Government schools following any Board/ Private Schools affiliated to CBSE.
- Should have secured at least 70% (or a CGPA of 8) overall and a minimum of 80% (or a CGPA of 9) in science and maths.
- The overall income of the family should be less than 6 lakh per annum.
- Girls from the economically poor background will be given a preference.
- Reservation quotas are applicable.
- Parents consent is absolutely essential to enrol into this program.
How to Apply
Eligible students or their parents who are wishing to apply for this scheme can do so by following the steps given below:
- Visit any of these two websites http://cbseacademic.nic.in/ or http://cbse.nic.in/newsite/index.html
- Click on the UDAAN link and read the brochure for more information.
- Fill out the details and press SUBMIT.
- Take a print of the filled application form and get it verified from the school principal.
- Submit the verified certificate along with all the required documents listed below to the city coordinator of the chosen centre.
- Undertaking certificate signed by the parent.
- Verification certificate signed by the school’s principal.
- Income certificate
- Reservation certificate (if any)
- Xth standard mark sheet
The selection procedure will be based on merit. The city selected by the candidate for weekly personal contacts classes will also be taken into consideration. A total of 500 girl students in their from open category and the remaining from other categories will be selected. A preference will be given to the candidates from financially weaker families. A provisional list of selected students will be shown on the website.
The students selected for this scheme will also be given access to an online portal containing videos and study materials. The classes are of 11th and 12th standard syllabus and the subjects are divided into Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The content is organised according to the program structure of the training given in classrooms.
On classroom training, periodic assessments would be given to track the progress of students and to measure their learning pace. Groups are formed to enable students to learn from their classmates as well as efficiently interact with the teachers.
The students selected for this scheme will be eligible for full financial assistance including the admission and tuition fees of the institute the student has joined. Providing the student continues to meet the following criteria:
- The candidate should have a minimum of 75% attendance for both 11th and 12th standards.
- She should have obtained admission in NIT, IIT or any other engineering institution funded by the central government.
- The concerned student should not avail scholarship from any other sources while under the Udaan scheme. If the student is already enrolled under any other scheme, a certificate of surrender has to be provided stating the discontinuation of the scholarship scheme.
- The student achieves the minimum required academic performance each term.
Other Salient Features
In addition to the financial support, the scheme consists of various other features:
- Free tablets are provided with content already pre-loaded into them.
- Access to an online portal containing video lectures and study materials.
- Sessions are provided for motivation where parents can also be involved.
- Intensive face to face training is provided for IITJEE preparation.
- A hotline for support, counselling and doubt clarification.
- Monitoring and tracking of student performance and constant feedback is provided.
Terms and Conditions
- This program is only for 11th or 12th standard girl students residing in India.
- A total of 1000 girl students will be chosen for this scholarship and will have to attend in any one of the 60 learning centres designated for this purpose.
- Only students pursuing science stream with Physics, chemistry and mathematics as their subjects are eligible for this scholarship.