Currently, in our country, it is observed that the number of females as against males in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even pressurised to gave birth to a male child. In such circumstances, the education of women in our country needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment. In order to achieve and promote women empowerment, Government lunches Indira Gandhi Scholarship. The Union Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Government of India has taken numerous steps to uplift the position of women in our society by implementing various schemes including free education for girls.
UGC has introduced a Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for the single girl child with a positive motive of educating female child by compensating direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for such girls who was the only girl child in their families. And only proper education will prepare them to have control over their lives. The mindset which hinders against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy.
Objectives Of Indira Gandhi Scholarship
The objectives of the proposed scheme are :
a) to support postgraduate education of single girl child in PG (postgraduate) courses only.
b) to recognize the value of observance of the small family norm.
Eligibility and Target Group
The girl students who are admitted to various non-professional PG courses
in Universities / Colleges and happen to be the only girl child in the family.
- Any single girl child or twin or fraternal daughter of her family. If one son and one daughter are available in a family then a girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
- The scheme is applicable to such a single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full-time 1st year Masters Degree course in any recognised university or a post-graduate college.
- This scholarship is available to the student for the first PG Degree only. Admission to PG Course in Distance mode is not covered under the scheme.
- Age limit for a girl students is up to the age of 30 years at the time of taking admission in first year PG courses.
Amount of Indira Gandhi Scholarship
– The number of seats for this fellowship is available under the schemes are 1200 per
– It is expected from the institutions where the student has taken admission in the first
year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from women students
to pursue a PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions covered under
Sections 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act.
– The amount of Scholarship is INR 2,000/- per month for a period of two years only (10
months in the year) i.e. duration of a Post Graduate course.
– No other additional grant will be payable.
The path of selecting a right and deserving girl candidate completely depends on the basis of students marks obtained in class 10+2/Bachelor Degree.
Procedure To Fill The Application
- The candidates who satisfy all the eligibility criteria are required to apply online on the National Scholarship Portal after initiation of the application process and notice to be published on UGC website.
- The host institution where the student is currently studying is required to verify the online application.
- It is anticipated from the institutions where the student has taken admission in the 1st year Post-Graduate course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute for girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
Documents To Be Submitted
1. The student is required to submit an application norm indicating name, address, date of birth, UG certificate, and Percentage of marks.
2. Proof of admission taken in Ist Year Master’s degree course in a recognized Indian
University/Institue covered under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act.
3. An affirmation from the student/parent duly attested by SDM/First Class
Magistrate/Gazetted Officer (not below the rank of Tahsildar) mentioning that she
is the only child in the family.
4. A certificate from the College/University where the student has taken the admission to
first-year PG Course in the current academic year.
Certificates To Be Submitted By University To The UGC
Every year University/Institute will submit a compiled statement for the
a) Statement giving the name of the students qualified for the fellowship
along with their bank account details.
b) Marks Card to be submitted after the completion of the 1st year of the
award-giving percentage of marks obtained by the candidates
c) Utilization certificate.