NCERT Doctoral Fellowship is provided to young PhD scholars from various disciplines to encourage them to pursue research in the field of education and other areas related to teaching. By providing this scholarship, NCERT hopes to build a research-backed knowledge base which can be used for implementing various schemes and policies. Candidates enrolled under NCERT Doctoral Fellowship can pursue their research in any recognised institution or university of their choice. The fellowship will only be offered to deserving candidates who are willing to do research in any of the following priority areas:
- Social and Psychological development in children: Various factors and aspects that take place in a child’s development and in what ways the development can be further improved.
- Peace education: On how various rights provided to the children be imparted and effective ways to teach them to resolve conflicts peacefully.
- Extra Curricular activities and their benefits: How beyond the curriculum skills can benefit them and what are the most effective ways to impart such skills.
- Practises and processes in classrooms: Research regarding various classroom dynamics and how the classroom atmosphere can be improved upon.
- Education for disadvantaged sections: How belonging to certain disadvantage sections of society can affect their education and what can be done to improve upon it.
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA): The program was introduced in 2001 with the goal to universalise primary education. A research to understand and enhance the various aspect of the program is necessary.
- Teacher education scheme related issues: A thorough research on the role of the teachers and how they can improve their performance in the development of children.
- Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA): The scheme was launched in 2009 with the aim to improve the access and quality of secondary education in India. A thorough research in various aspects of the scheme requires to be done.
To be eligible for this fellowship the candidates must fulfil the following criteria:
- Must have scored more than 60% or equivalent grade in both under graduation and post graduation.
- Should be less than 35 years old at the time of application.
- Must be registered or registering for a PhD degree from any recognised institution.
- Reservation quota is applicable while selecting candidates.
How to Apply for NCERT Doctoral Fellowship
Application for the NCERT Doctoral Fellowship can be applied online through the official NCERT website (http://www.ncert.nic.in/). Any form of offline application will not be accepted. Any interested candidates have to apply within 60 days of the newspaper advertisement.
The following documents are required to be submitted along with the Application form:
- Curriculum Vitae of the research supervisor indicating the research done by them in the previous five years.
- Fellowship of the last three months.
- Receipt of the thesis.
- proof of completion of the predoctoral research methodology course.
Selection Procedure for NCERT Doctoral Fellowship
Deserving candidates will be selected by NCERT through the process of merit. The candidates will be requested to appear for an interview session where they would also be expected to take a presentation. The cost of travelling will be borne by NCERT and will be provided with an equivalent to a second-class sleeper train fare.
Terms and Conditions
- Research should be performed only in the field of education and teaching, and research focusing on priority areas would be given a preference.
- NCERT Doctoral Fellowship will begin only after the date of joining and will end after 3 years from the beginning date or when the doctoral thesis will be submitted, whichever comes first.
- Leave rules will be applicable as given under UGC Junior Research Fellowship.
- Once the fellowship has been accepted, the candidates are not permitted to accept any other assignments in this period.
- After receiving the PhD degree, a hardbound copy of the thesis should be provided to NCERT.
- Out of the 10 fellowships, 4 are reserved for Regional Institutes of Education (RIE) present in Bhopal, Mysore, Ajmer and Bhubaneswar.
- Only deserving candidates will be selected for the fellowship. In the event of inability to fill up all the 10 fellowship slots, the council will leave it empty.
- In the event of a requirement to present a public lecture on pressing issues, the Doctoral fellow is obliged to give the presentation.
- A seminar should be presented at the end of each semester.