Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship is provided to upcoming artists every year in the field of Visual arts by Ministry of Culture, Government of India. A total of 40 scholarships are provided to artists in various fields of visual arts and providing them with monetary benefits and workspace to thrive and continue working with their art form. The visual art forms and fields covered in this scholarship are:
- Art Criticism
- Art Curation and Documentation
- Art History
- Arts Management
Talented visual students would like to apply for the Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship must meet the following eligibility conditions to successfully apply for the scholarship:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- Must have a degree, diploma or any kind of education in the field of visual arts background.
- Should have a minimum of 5 years of full-time job experience in the visual arts field.
- The applicant must be required to work full time.
- The candidates are expected to be in the age range of 21 years to 35 years old as of 1st January of the application year.
- Students who are pursuing degrees not related to visual arts are not eligible to apply.
- Students who are working full-time capacity or handling their business not related to the visual arts field are not eligible to apply. In case the candidate is working under necessity, the candidates are expected to provide the complete details with the address provided, along with the No Objection Certificate (NOC) provided from the employer.
- Candidates must have extensive knowledge of the field for which they are applying.
- Artists who have received an award, grant or scholarship previously from Lalit Kala Academy are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Artists who have obtained an award previously in any exhibitions are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Any other eligibility requirement will be provided by the Akademi as it deems fit.
How to Apply for Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship
Interested candidates who meet the eligibility requirements must take the following steps to successfully apply for the scholarship. Only completely filled applications with all the necessary documents are will be considered for the scholarships. Successfully applying for the scholarships is only a part of the process and doesn’t guarantee you will be offered the scholarship:
- Click on the link provided and download the application form.
- Take a print out of the application form.
- Fill in all the required fields in the language of your interest.
- Take a copy of all the required documents provided in the list below and attach it with the application form.
Put them in an envelope and post it to the address given below:
SECRETARY, LALIT KALA AKADEMI
RABINDRA BHAVAN, 35, FEROZESHAH ROAD
NEW DELHI – 110001
- Students sending documents in any language other than Hindi or English must also send a translated copy of the same via post.
The following documents are to be provided with the application form and post it to the given address in order to successfully apply for the Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship. Only the copies of the original documents are to be sent. The copies of the documents once provided wil not be returned under any basis and will be used for future reference. The Akademi is not responsible in case of loss of the original documents if provided by the applicants:
- Certificates of educational qualifications (Diplomas, degrees and other certifications)
- Proof of work experience.
- Xth and XIIth Standard school certificate. The copies provided should be attested by the candidate.
- A recent passport size photograph. The candidate must write name and details on the back of all photos provided.
- A short bio of the applicant along with personal details.
- A 10 – 15 line of statement about the work the applicant is pursuing.
- A short concept note of research the candidate is wishing to pursue.
- At least 5 photographs of the artwork done by the candidate in the last 5 years. The photographs must be self-attested and should contain the title, size, year of execution and medium details along with them.
- One 1000-1500 words published article is to be provided by the candidates if he/she has written or provided a finished article to a publication.
- Details of the income generated by the candidate by selling their artwork in the last 3 years. Details of the value of the artwork are also to be provided.
- The exhibition details in which the artists have participated.
- At least two reference letters, one of which must be provided by a senior well-known artist or teacher.
- Details of all the scholarships or fellowships which the applicant has obtained in the past. The details must contain the amount received along with the duration of the scholarship.
- Details of financial aid other than scholarships if the applicant has obtained any in the last five years. The applicant must also state the name of the agency along with the purpose of receiving the financial aid.
- Any Caste or Trib certificate, if applicable.
Selection Procedure of Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship
All the shortlisted applicants will be selected on the basis of merit and availability of scholarship slots. The candidates will be selected by a panel consisting of senior artists and experts in their respective field of art. The candidates will be shortlisted only on the basis of the provision of all the required documents and materials. The exhibit photographs along with the published articles will be the major criteria for selection of the scholarship awardees. Once selected, the photographs will be published on the website of the Akadi and the offers will be sent via speed post.
Candidates will be provided ₹10000 per month to cover his/her daily expenditure, like food, travel and material expenses. The scholarship period is for one year and the recipients are expected to work only in the regional centres of Akademi situated at various locations.
Terms and conditions
The state or Union Territory in which the candidate has been living for the past 3 years will be considered as the region of application.
Apart from the artwork in which the candidate is pursuing, the candidate will also be expected to work in various departments of the Akademi.
The scholar is expected to write a report along with two photographs of the work 5th of every month and submit it with the attestation of the regional head. The funds will be released only after the submission of the report.
A leave of 36 days will be allowed each year when under the Lalit Kala Akademi Scholarship scheme.
The scholar is not eligible to avail any other scholarship during the period unless prior approval is given by the Akademi.
Attendance of the scholars will be held by the respective regional institutions. Failing to maintain it will lead to the termination of the scholarship.