Ishan Uday Scholarship scheme is an initiative of University Grants Commission (UGC) and Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI) to give financial aid to financially poor students pursuing higher education and are hailing from the North Eastern region of India. The primary motive of the Ishan Uday Scholarship scheme is to promote higher education in the region which may ultimately lead to the prosperity and development of the North Eastern region of the country. Besides this, improvement in Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) and effective usage of budgetary allocation for North Eastern Region were also taken into account. A total of 10000 scholarships are provided by UGC every year under this scheme.
Students those who are interested in applying for the scholarship must check the following criteria to see if they are eligible to apply for the scholarship:
- Students who have done their schooling as well as obtained their previous graduation from any of the North Eastern states.
- Applicants should have completed their XIIth standard education from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), National Institute of Open School (NIOS) from the or any of the State Boards of the North East Indian states.
- Should be in the first year of their respective under graduation or graduate courses.
- The applicants should have got admissions into the college, institution or University which is recognised by the Unversity Grants Commission (UGC).
- The overall income of the family should not exceed ₹4.5 lakhs per annum.
- Candidates belonging to the transgender communities are also eligible to apply for the Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme. Reservations are applicable as per guideline provided.
- Students who are pursuing courses online or via open universities are not eligible to apply for the scholarship scheme.
- Students who have gained admission via “management” quota in their respective institutions are not eligible to apply.
- Students who are pursuing diploma courses which wouldn’t result in getting a degree certificate at the end of their education are not eligible to apply for the scholarship scheme.
How to Apply for Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
Students who are interested to apply for the Ishan Uday Scholarship scheme and match the above-set eligibility criteria have to take the following steps to effectively register for the Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme:
- Calls for the applications of the Ishan Uday Scholarship scheme is provided once per year. And those who are interested in applying can check it at UGC portal/website.
- The students can check out the portal by clicking on this link.
- The students are requested to check in the Unversity Grants Commision section
- Upon clicking on the “Apply” button, the page will be redirected to the login page of the National scholarship Portal.
- If the student doesn’t have an account already. The applicant can create one by clicking on the “Register here” section.
- The applicant will be prompted to create an account and a unique Application ID will be provided.
- The applicant has to go to the login page again and log in using the Applicant ID provided during the account creation process.
- The student is requested to select the scholarship which they wish to apply for and provide all the correct and accurate detail at all the required fields.
- Upload scanned copies of all the required documents mentioned below wherever required.
- Once all the fields are filled and all the necessary documents are uploaded, the application process is completed.
- The classification of a general degree course or professional degree course is done by the respective institutions in which the student is pursuing their education.
- Incorrect or incomplete applications will not be selected for the scholarships
To successfully apply for the scholarship, the following documents are to be provided in the correct formats and at appropriate sizes. All the documents must be signed by a competent authority or by the respective head of institutions. Failure to do so will lead to the application being summarily rejected:
- Proof of identification of the applicant.
- Proof of admission of the candidate to the respective institution.
- Domicile certificate of the state in which the student is residing. The document should be signed by a competent authority.
- Income certificate of the family which should be signed by a competent state or central authority.
- Quarterly certificate for the continuation of scholarship.
- Affidavit declaring that the student not availing a certificate from any other sources. The affidavit should be signed by a competent authority higher than the post of Tahsildar.
- The format of the document can be obtained by clicking on this link.
Selection Procedure of Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
A total of 10000 scholarships will be distributed among deserving students on the basis of merit. The marks scored by eligible candidates in their respective 12th standard board examination will be a major deciding factor for the selection of the students. The population density of the individual states will also play a key factor in the distribution of the scholarships. In the case of the scholarships of certain states remaining unfilled because of non-availability of eligible candidates, the slots will be distributed among the other states equally. The distribution of scholarships for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) as well as transgender people will be provided as per government norms.
Scholarship amount and renewals
Upon selection for the scholarship scheme, the candidates will receive monetary rewards on a monthly basis. The monetary amount provided are:
- A sum of ₹5400 per month will be provided to students who are pursuing a general degree course.
- A sum of ₹7800 per month will be provided to students who are pursuing a professional degree course such as medical, paramedical or engineering course.
For renewals of the Ishan Uday Scholarship scheme, the student has to satisfy the following tasks and will be subject to the rules during the scholarship tenure:
- The scholarship will be provided for the whole duration of the first degree of the applicant provided the student has the minimum required of attendance and has a track record of good conduct.
- The scholarship will be renewed every year on the basis of the annual report provided by the head of the institution.
- For students who are pursuing a dual degree, the scholarships will be provided only for the first degree of their study.
- For students who are pursuing integrated education, the scholarship will be provided for the entire duration of their education.
Terms and conditions
- Students who fail any of the course during their scholarship period will have their scholarship revoked immediately.
- The scholarship amount will be renewed even if the student fails to attend any of the major examination conducted by the respective institutions due to any medical or unforeseeable events. Provided the student offers documents as evidence supporting the claim.
- The whole amount has to be returned if the student withdraws from the education without providing any valid reason or prior consent.
- The scholarship will be continued even if the student decided to change their courses or streams.
- The scholarship will be continued even if the student wishes to change their college or institution. But the amount will not be paid again if the student has to repeat a year.
- The changes in the streams, as well as institutions, will be only allowed to do it once during their scholarship period.
- The progress of the student should be handled by the respective institutions and progress reports should be sent on a regular basis.
- After completion of every year, the students are requested to hand over a copy of their mark sheets to UGC.
- After completion of their education, the students are requested to hand over a copy of their degrees to UGC.
- The candidates must join their respective institutions within 6 months of receiving the scholarship offer. Failing to do which the scholarship shall stand cancelled.
- The scholarship is not transferable to any other student under any circumstances.